One of the great joys of being a Rotarian is to share your vision of leadership and service with young people. RYLA gives you the opportunity to participate in leadership, learning, and fellowship activities with some of the District’s finest high school juniors.
Families are the essence of the RYLA conference. Participants will be divided into families to provide a more intimate learning and sharing experience. Each family consists of a Rotarian facilitator and up to 10 students from different high schools throughout our Rotary District. The family will become a close knit community as a result of working together and sharing ideas after each major presentation and activity.
The process of facilitation is to guide or lead the family as it reflects on an experience, whether that experience was a speaker, a workshop, or an activity. Effective facilitation enables students to share perspectives on a common experience through a productive dialog and then develop behavioral changes through enriched communication, trust, and teamwork.
Being a RYLA facilitator is often described as one of the high points in a Rotarians life! Don’t miss this unique opportunity.
There are no formal requirements to be a facilitator. You must be a Rotarian and be interested in working with youth. The steps to become a facilitator follow.
1. Check your personal calendar against the RYLA Calendar - Timeline to insure that you will be available to participate in all facilitator activities (i.e., training, attending RYLA, etc.).
2. Enter all the relevant RYLA dates on your personal calendar.
3. Verify that your Rotary Club will pay the registration fees for you to attend RYLA as a facilitator.
4. Complete the online Facilitator Application and click on “Submit.”
5. Print the entire application, legibly fill in the additional information requested, sign the application , and have an officer of your Rotary Club sign the sponsorship section.
6. Mail the facilitator application to the Facilitator Coordinator at the address on the facilitator application.
8. You will be contacted by the Facilitator Coordinator who must select facilitators and alternates.
9. If selected to be a facilitator, please read the Facilitator Manual prior to attending the facilitator training. The Manual has essential information for new and experienced facilitators and it will answer most of your questions.
10. All Rotarians selected to be facilitators must attend the facilitator training on the date specified in the RYLA Calendar – Timeline. The only exception is if you are a veteran facilitator, you have an emergency, and you have received permission from the Facilitator Coordinator to miss the training. In order to establish camaraderie among the facilitators and to lend your expertise to the training session, experienced facilitators are encouraged not to miss the training unless absolutely necessary.
11. Attend RYLA and have the time of your life!